Wednesday, April 29, 2020

That's how I celebrated my birthday in Portland, America last year during coronavirus pandemic

Dr Rabin Man Shakya





Birthday guy Rabin Man Shakya in front of the traditional Sukunda at his home in Portland.

Portland, April 28, (Nepal Oregon News): Birthday, which is a special occasion for everybody, comes once a year. 

"Sozhaleniyu Den Rozhdeniya Tolko Raz V Godu. Ya Igrayu Na Garmoshke," goes on an old popular Russian song. It means:"Unfortunately, a birthday only comes once a year and I am playing the accordion."

  Social media news stories and posts  about organizing virtual parties  and celebrating birthdays  by cutting big cakes and lightening candles with the participation of relatives and friends during the Covid - 19 crisis over the zoom are also inundating in the social media sites.

This year, amid ongoing coronavirus crisis, I celebrated my birthday here in Portland with Khen-Sagan (hard boiled egg, a small fish and a khola of ayla) handed over to me by my spouse Naveena. Then, my spouse Naveena Shakya, son Ranjan Shakya and daughter Palistha  wished me happy birthday.

A Puja Bha Dema consisting of Hyangu and Bhasugu Sinha, Dhau, Jaki, Dhup , flowers and Jajanka etc was prepared by my spouse.


Sukunda and other birthday items.

Sukunda, which is an auspicious traditional lamp used during a number of rituals of the Newah people, was also lit during my birthday. That is the way how we have been celebrating our birthdays here in Portland, USA for past several years. I believe in simplicity. Still, that day was a special day for me and our home in Portland felt more festive in a simple way: with the Sukunda lamp, candles and pleasant smelling incenses. And that was a modest celebration. Nevertheless, it was one of the most memorable birthdays I have ever had.

My birthday in 2020 during the coronavirus pandemic was special for me: my spouse and both my kids were present at the birthday ritual. For that matter, my daughter Palistha Shakya  was in Chicago in 2017 and my son Ranjan Shakya  was in South Africa in 2018. Also, many friends and relatives from Nepal, the US and from across the world wished me Happy Birthday through the social media sites.

By the way, immediately after passing the SLC examinations in 1973, I went to the English Language Center at the American Library (USIS) at New Road, Kathmandu for an advanced English language training course. Little did I know then that I will land up in the USA for good in 2002. Here you go: I have been living here in the country of Uncle Sam for almost two decades.

Before that I was in the former Soviet Union for ten years from 1979 to 1989 doing my Masters and Ph D in Journalism.


Speaking of a Sukunda,  a Newah birthday ritual is never complete without a Sukunda. In fact, Sukunda is an epitome of richness of Newah arts and culture. The Nagrajas are depicted above the Sukunda while Lord Ganesh (the God of good fortune) is depicted on the middle of Sukunda in which cotton wicks are kept lit in oil during auspicious rituals.

The word "Sukunda" reminds me of an annual students magazine in Nepal Bhasa published by students of Ratna Rajya Laxmi Campus in Kathmandu. My article entitled "Mass Media in the USSR" was published in Sukunda magazine in Nepal Bhasa in 1983. That issue of Sukunda was edited by Siddhi Ratna Shakya, my high school and neighborhood friend. That was the time when I was studying journalism at the Faculty of Journalism at the Belarusian State University in Minsk, Belarus.

I am sure that different nationalities and different indigenous communities have their different ways of celebrating birthday. Newah people of Nepal have also a very unique way of celebrating birthday. Birthday guy sits cross-legged on a mat  and a round-circled figure is painted with syaucha (light brown colored soil).

Naugraha is also worshipped on that round figure. Usually a Gubhaju (Buddhist priest) also comes to the house for ritualizing a birthday of the male chief of the household in the family.

In fact, in Vajrayana Buddhism of Nepal, birthday of a human being is also considered to be a part of life-cycle rituals. Therefore, a birthday of a man or a woman has a religious as well as cultural significance in the Vajrayana Buddhism.

Lots of rituals are on the verge of extinction. Gone are the days when Dhau Baji was given away to the neighborhood kids on the occasion of a birthday. The female chief of the household used to call the neighborhood kids from the main entrance door: "Dhau Baji Ka Wa, Masta.".

Anyway, a birthday of a man or woman is the time for soul-searching about what you have done in the past in your life and what you gonna do in future for the good of family, community and the nation as a whole.

The global Covid - 19 pandemic has changed the lifestyle of the people all  over the world by drastically disrupting their daily life. Coronavirus pandemic is looming large in the minds of the people all over the world creating a lot of anxieties, confusions  and uncertainties.

People across the world are facing the coronavirus challenge in their own ways. We have to control ourselves with different coronavirus safety measures if we know what is good for us: like staying home as much as possible, wearing masks, washing hands as many times as possible, using hand sanitizers and maintaining social distancing quarantine. Definitely, it is not the time for fun, show off and exhibitionism. 

One of my friends during my long stay in the Soviet Union, Deepak Shrestha, who is a senior engineer and also treasurer of Mitra Kunja, said to me in a Facebook status:"Birthdays mean a fresh start; a time for looking back with gratitude at the blessings of another year."  Well, my friend, I cannot disagree with you. A very relevant and thought-provoking message in deed.

Meanwhile, coronavirus is hitting hard on the people all over the world. On the occasion of my birthday, I prayed to Lord Buddha and Lord Ganesh for the quick breakthrough of the novel coronavirus and for an end to the  problems and sufferings of the people caused by coronavirus.

We are all very common and simple people. But I have made a lot of friends in Nepal, the former Soviet Union and now in the United States. 

I am really, really overwhelmed by the happy birthday wishes from my friends and relatives in the Facebook, e-mails, the Messenger and through phone calls.

I just want to tell you guys: We are made to feel special by people who have some place in their hearts for us. I extend my heart-felt thankfulness to all of you for the birthday greetings.









(Rabin Man Shakya is a Nepali journalist in USA)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Without Mudra, There is no Mahamudra, says Vajracharya

Zoom Teaching on 'Mahamudra in Newar Buddhism' Organized By Rabin Man Shakya Portland, April 21 (Nepal Oregon News): A virtual teach...